Incredible Power Foods To Lower Blood Pressure Naturally

by Anna Smith in Nutrition

Post image for Incredible Power Foods To Lower Blood Pressure Naturally

Do you have a long list of medications to lower blood pressure? What if you could do it naturally? The root cause of high blood pressure has been Sodium. You not only need to reduce it in your diet but you also have to include power minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Here are the power foods to help you reduce blood pressure naturally.

Kiwifruit

A single kiwifruit gives you 2% of the total calcium, 7% of the total magnesium and 9% of the total potassium your body needs every day. It is available throughout the year in supermarkets. They also contain more vitamin C than oranges. Thus it makes for the perfect power food to help lower blood pressure.

Peach and Nectarines

You could go with unsweetened frozen peach slices and defrost them ahead of time. They make for a great addition to your power foods list. A single medium sized peach or nectarine gives you 1% of the total calcium, 3% of the total magnesium and 8% of the total potassium your body needs every day.

Tilapia

This is a mild tasting white fish also available all year round in supermarkets. Despite being fish, it is extremely low in mercury and other toxins. Just 4 ounces of the Tilapia gives you 8% each of the total magnesium and potassium that your body needs every day.

Further, it is a versatile food available as fresh or frozen fillets for you to bake, roast or even saute it. You can flavor it with a wide variety of seasoning of your choice. You could also go with a topping of kiwi-avocado salsa. These two are also power foods that help reduce blood pressure.

Red bell peppers

A single cup of red bell pepper gives you 1% of the total calcium, 4% of the total magnesium and 9% of the total potassium your body needs every day. Red bell peppers can be stored in the refrigerator for as long as 10 days. If you don’t want them to dry from the freezing, wrap them in damp paper towels.

Bananas

When bananas get soft, don’t throw them away! Just freeze them for use in smoothies. A single medium sized banana gives you 1% of the total calcium, 8% of the total magnesium and 12% of the total potassium your body needs every day.

Kale

Kale is super low in calories and is popular as a power food as it has the all-important antioxidants that protect your cells from free radical damage. A single cup of raw or cooked kale, gives you 9% of the total calcium, 6% of the total magnesium and 9% of the total potassium your body needs every day. It also helps control inflammation. Crisp baby kale leaves make for a great addition to your salads.

Broccoli

This is a cruciferous vegetable and is popular as a good source of cancer-fighting phytonutrients, known as glucosinolates. A single cup of well-cooked broccoli gives you 6% of the total calcium, 8% of the total magnesium and 14% of the total potassium your body needs every day. Thus it makes for a great power food to help reduce blood pressure.

Quinoa

It is a high-protein, gluten-free whole grain with a mildly nutty flavor and has the super-healthy phytonutrients. Half a cup of cooked quinoa gives you 1.5% of the total calcium, 15% of the total magnesium and 4.5% of the total potassium your body needs every day. It even helps in the celiac disease since it is gluten free and it makes for a great addition to a diet aimed at reducing blood pressure. It cooks faster than brown rice and is highly recommended as a staple by nutritionists.

Avocado

Just half of an avocado gives you 1% of the total calcium, 5% of the total magnesium and 10% of the total potassium your body needs every day. Besides these minerals which control blood pressure, it also has monounsaturated or ‘good fats’ that help fight heart disease.

Sweet potato

A single medium sized sweet potato (with skin) gives you 4% of the total calcium, 8% of the total magnesium and 15% of the total potassium your body needs every day. In fact, it is so sweet, that it could be part of a dessert. They make for a great addition to your smoothies. Always have baked sweet potatoes handy for smoothies and other recipes.

These are the top power foods to help you reduce blood pressure naturally without the need for medications. It is highly recommended that you incorporate these foods into your regular diet too.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment